Browse Items tagged "education" (27 total)

Twenty unidentified Pamunkey school children pose for a portrait by the photographer De Lancey W. Gill sometime in 1900. Gill (1859–1940) was a prolific photographer for the Smithsonian Institution's Bureau of American Ethnology from 1898 until…

COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA Department of Health Bureau of Vital Statistics Richmond January 1943 Local Registrars, Physicians, Health Officers, Nurses, School Superintendents, and Clerks of the Courts Dear Co-workers: Our December 1942…

Students and a teacher pose for an unknown photographer outside Sharon School, built for the Upper Mattaponi in 1919 and then rebuilt in 1952.

Samaria Indian Church was built in 1910 in Charles City County, on the former site of the Samaria Baptist Church. A group of Chickahominy families acquired the Samaria Baptist Church in 1901; they had withdrawn from the Cedar Grove and Little Elam…

Rockefeller Hall, known by students as "Ol Rock," appears in this image. Completed in 1885 and razed in 1938, the building housed Indian students from numerous tribes. Many students from the Chickahominy Tribe obtained their high school and community…

This brick structure was built in 1723 to house a school for Indians already in operation since 1712, intended to convert them to Christianity and instruct them according to the English model. The funds for its erection and operation came from a…

Monacan Indians at Saint Paul's Mission near Bear Mountain in Amherst County pose for this photograph taken by the Episcopal minister John Haraughty sometime in the 1950s. The log cabin, serving as a church, had existed on the Bear Mountain site…

In this episode of the radio program Elder Wisdom with Barbara Roberts, which first aired sometime around 2001, Roberts interviews Monacan chief Kenneth Branham, Karenne Wood, and Hattie Bell Hamilton. Elder Wisdom with Barbara Roberts is produced…

Students sit at their desks inside theBear Mountain Indian Mission School on the Monacan settlement near Bear Mountain in Amherst County, in 1914. The log cabin, serving as a church, had existed on the site since about 1868. In 1908, the Episcopal…