This silver medal is inscribed on the obverse "The King of" and on the reverse "Machotick," with both sides engraved with flowers and cornucopias. It is pierced so as to be hung on a chain and worn around the neck. Scholars assume that the medal was presented by the General Assembly around 1662 to the chief of the Machodoc Indians, in compliance with a law passed the year before requiring that Indians wear badges as passports for entering English settlements. Chiefs wore silver badges, warriors copper. This Machodoc badge was uncovered at Camden in Caroline County in November 1964 during excavations at an Indian site conducted by the Upper Rappahannock Chapter of the Archeological Society of Virginia.